Thursday 22 February 2018

A Room Of My Own

Late last year a large green building appeared in our front yard. This is to be my very own studio! After years of working in a very small and cluttered space, I will now have the opportunity to move my creative life and materials into this purpose-built room.

Although the building is now complete, there is still much work to do to complete the inside. I’ve been looking at paint swatches, trying to find a warm, earthy green that is just right for inducing calmness as well as creativity. It will also take some time to find all the furnishings I need—the most important thing being a generously-sized desk, or two (though a bookshelf comes a very close second).


Perhaps the most important thing about this space is that I intend for it to remain Internet-free. Though the Net is an invaluable tool, it can also be an incredibly harmful distraction. I’ve experienced it as such over the past year, and I want to distance myself from it as much as I can from now on, while still using it for essential things, of course (blogging, research, and communication). In this I am inspired by Joseph Campbell:

This is an absolute necessity for anybody today: you must have a room, or a certain hour or so a day, where you don’t know what was in the newspapers that morning, you don’t know who your friends are, you don’t know what you owe anybody, you don’t know what anybody owes to you. This is a place where you can simply experience and bring forth what you are and what you might be. This is the place of creative incubation. At first you may find that nothing happens there. But if you have a sacred place and use it, something eventually wonderful will happen. ~ From ‘Joseph Campbell and the Power of Myth (with Bill Moyers)’

My studio will become, I hope, my creative sanctuary, where I will get much work done (both writing and art), but also much dreaming, and feeling into the dark and fertile places within. After the rather terrible time I had last year, it is time for a new start, a new focus, and this room is where that will take place.

Watch this space. Exciting things are afoot!

9 comments:

  1. That is so incredibly exciting! I hope you will keep us updated with your progress in creating this space ... and then with whatever comes out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks brilliant - I imagine it will be even brighter as you add plants and paintings to it, and there is that lovely sunny spot to sit outdoors and enjoy the world around you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's going to be a great space—but there is still so much work to do!

      Delete
  3. How lovely, that looks like a delightful place to be. Wishing you all the energy needed to finish it up, these things take persistence. I have green paint swatches under consideration for my writing room, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carmine. It's going to take a while to get it up and running, but I am enjoying having that as a goal.

      Delete
  4. Enjoy! Enjoy! Enjoy!
    There is nothing better than a creative space in your onw garden. YOUR space.
    Looking forward to see the fruits of your creative work sprouting from there.
    Beautiful building too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Corina, I intend to enjoy it. And it's really helping me to have something to work towards. I also intend to have a little garden outside, maybe grow some herbs, which should soften the boxiness of the building. Exciting times!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you.